Thursday, December 20, 2007

I'm Sorry if you are SAD but...

I'm sorry if you are SAD but...are you kidding me? I got a news letter in the mail today from my companies health care provider, Blue Cross Blue Shield. How appropriate that a company who has "Blue" in it's name would have an article about something SAD. Here is the first part of the actual article...

"Do you feel like a gray winter day? Do you feel this way only in late fall and winter? You may have seasonal affective disorder (SAD), a type of depression.

SAD may be caused by having less daylight this time of year. Symptoms include sadness, irritability, low energy and loss of interest in normal activities. Besides mood changes in winter, you may also oversleep and crave carbohydrates."

End quote. I'm stopping there because I think that's pretty much ridiculous. Sounds like something a fortune teller would say or something you may see in a horoscope. Can you get any more general. Sounds like a regular ol sinful person to me...including ME. I suggest getting to bed earlier (instead of 11 PM or later), eating a more balanced diet and getting some exercise(instead of sitting on the couch and eating fast food all the time), and working at growing in your relationship with Christ.

I don't suppose a mega pharmaceutical company could make much money with my suggestions...so I suppose they'll continue to push the pills and therapy sessions.

Jason - Steps down from soap box.

7 comments:

Dana said...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Unknown said...

Preach it brother.

Daizie Girl said...

From the words of my dad, "someone just got marketed". It is amazing how people can take something general that we all experience and turn it into a way to persuade people to either freak out or spend money.

Sarah said...

Jason, you kill me....so true though! There is a "disorder" for every problem we have. Maybe I can be diagnosed with "intense toddler syndrome"....do you think they make any meds for my condition???!!

Anonymous said...

You're full of shit. Seasonal Affective Disorder is real. I don't have it myself, but know of two people that do. These aren't the typical "sinners" that you paint a picture of either. They eat healthy, get plenty of rest/sleep, exercise, and one even goes to church (the other is a Godless heathen - I don't know what his excuse is). Just because it doesn't touch you directly doesn't mean it isn't real. The Bible is a great book, but there is more to the world.

Anonymous said...

Daniel - there may be SAD, but what I think Jason is trying to say is that just because your emotions may be affected by the weather, it is a Christian's responsibility to handle those mood shifts in a God-honoring way. It is a command in the Bible not to worry, but "cast all your cares on Him". In this way, when a Christian is feeling discouraged from external forces or not, it is his duty to figure out why, and then to handle his emotions properly in the way that will give the most glory to God.

praise Him in the storm.

M. Kate said...

Man!!!! I want to write some stuff here, but I'll keep it short and do some praying instead. I am afterall only the distributor, not the manufactor.

There is more to this world than the Bible, there's grace and hope for people that fight those daily battles.

I am one such recipient of that grace and hope.